The experts at Home Depot will keep your cooling units running more efficiently while helping to keep the cost of staying cool down.
- Change or clean your filters regularly, doing so takes the stress off your cooling units motor and extends its lifetime.
- Use shades, blinds and or drapes to keep out hot afternoon sun.
- Have your cooling unit maintained at least once a year to keep it running at its best.
- Keep your thermostat at 78 degrees and if possible install a programmable thermostat.
- Make sure your window unit is the correct size for the size of the area you are trying to cool. A unit that is too small will not cool your room and a unit that is too big will push your cooling costs through the roof!
- Ceiling fans help to keep cool air from your air conditioner circulated and ultimately reduces energy costs.
Here is a handy chart to help you choose the right size ceiling fan: