Interesting Historical Facts about Stamford

  1. Pre-Colonial Times –Stamford was known as Rippowam by the Native Americans.
  2. 1640 – the deed to Stamford was signed between Captain Turner of the New Haven Colony and Chief Ponus. The deed was renegotiated several times. The name of Rippowam was changed later to Stamford after a town in Lincolnshire, England.
  3. 1641 – 29 families from Wethersfield settled along the Rippowam River.  Some common family names of the early inhabitants of Stamford were Scofield, Smith, Lockwood, Weed, Hoyt, June.
  4. 1790  —   the population of Stamford was 4,051. Along with agriculture and fishing, one of the primary industries was that of shipping.
  5. 1829  —  Albert Hanford established the Advocate. It is the oldest business in continuous operation in Stamford.
  6. 1848 (Christmas Day) – the first train to Stamford.
  7. 1861-1865  — the American Civil War. 500 plus Stamforders participated in the war. 
  8. 1869  —  the Yale Lock Manufacturing Company opened.  The name was later changed to Yale & Towne Mfg. Co.
  9. 1873 –Charles H. Phillips, a pharmacist from England, who had established the Phillips Camphor and Wax Company, concocted what he called Milk of Magnesia (as in Phillips Milk of Magnesia).
  10. 1880  — the population was 11,000. 
  11. 1882  — the YMCA established here.
  12. 1882  —  opening of the Ferguson Library (second floor of the Payne Building at Atlantic and Luther Streets) following a donation of $10,000 dollars from John Day Ferguson. It later moved to the former Leeds home on Atlantic Street opposite St. John’s Roman Catholic Church.
  13. 1885  —  the Stamford Fire Department organized; it operated out of the Luther Street Station.
  14. 1886  —  funds received from Congress to build the Stamford Light House.
  15. 1890 — the Stamford Yacht Club founded.
  16. 1893 – Stamford incorporated as a city.
  17. 1900-1902 – Homer Cummings, Mayor of Stamford. (Cummings Park is named for him.)
  18. 1907 —  the railway track between New York and Stamford electrified.
  19. 1913  —  first main, 100-bed building of the Stamford Hospital opened on Broad Street. 
  20. 1917 – to reduce his waistline, Teddy Roosevelt visited Jackie Cooper’s health farm on High Ridge Road.
  21. 1918  —  sculptor Gutzon Borglum (Sculptor of Mt. Rushmore) and his wife used their home as a military camp for Czechoslovak-American recruits waiting to be sent to France.
  22. 1919  —  veterans of World War I return to Stamford. 
  23. By 1940  —  Colonel Jacob Schick employed almost 1000 workers at his Schick Dry Shaver Company on Atlantic Street.
  24. 1940s – the shopping center Ridgeway Center opened.
  25. 1942 – birth of future U.S. Senator Joseph Lieberman in Stamford. He went to the public schools in the city.
  26. 1941-1945  —  American participation in World War II. Stamford had 9500 men and women serving in the armed forces
  27. 1970 (October 12) – Richard and Pat Nixon dedicated the newly completed Italian Center on Newfield Avenue.
  28. 1980s – a lot of New York companies moved to Stamford: UBS AG, International Paper, and Purdue Pharma in the downtown area; Pitney Bowes in the South End; World Wrestling Entertainment and Clairol on the East Side; and Xerox on Long Ridge Road, several miles north of downtown.
  29. 1998 – the University of Connecticut opened a branch campus in Downtown Stamford (housed in an old Bloomingdales)
  30. 2000  —  the city had a population of 117,083.

Source: http://www.nynjctbotany.org/lgtofc/stamfordhistory.html

Leave a Reply