BARRETT PARK (Belltown Field) 6 acres
Newfield Avenue & Burdick Street
Barrett Park was named for Thomas Barrett, the first Mayor to take office after the consolidation of the City and Town of Stamford
CARWIN PARK – West Main Street 1.40 acres
Carwin Park was dedicated in 1976 and was named for Dr. Joseph L. Carwin, a Stamford physician. Dr. Carwin was a dedicated worker and champion of the black community
CHESTNUT HILL PARK 6.63 acres
Chestnut Hill Road & Webbs Road (off Long Ridge Road)
COVE ISLAND PARK (Shoreline) 83.14 acres
Cove Road & Weed Avenue
Cove Island is a water oriented park located on Long Island Sound with large open space and extensive shoreline, including beaches. It is an area of unusual natural beauty of which Stamford residents can well be proud. The Island itself, consisting of 42 acres and an additional 41 acres mainland make it a delightful park.
*Operated by Board of Recreation
Cove Island was formerly the site of the Cove Mills and was purchased by the City of Stamford on October 1, 1954. The Sanford-Holly Mansion located on Cove Island, which is rich in history, now houses the Park Department office. The Mansion House was constructed in 1971 and 1840 and is on the “National Register of Historic Places”.
CUMMINGS PARK (Shoreline) – Shippan Avenue 79.29 acres Cummings Park was originally called “Halloween Park”, since the final negotiations took place on Halloween Eve under the administration of the Mayor at that time, Homer Cummings, in 1906. After his death, the park was renamed Cummings Park in his honor.
CUMMING PARK WEST – Shippan Avenue 14.20 acres
CZESCIK, J. ‘WHITEY’ (Shoreline) 8.20 acres
Shippan Avenue on East Branch Channel
Czescik Park was named in1978 after J. ‘Whitey’ Czescik, who was a local sports figure.
Formerly a landfill area, this aprk is in developing stages to accommodate a 200 slip marina and access road.
DROTAR PARK 4.46 acres
Hope Street (Springdale)
Drotar Park was acquired in 1952 and was known as Springdale Park. It was renamed in 1972 for M. J. Drotar, who was instrumental in its acquisition. Mr. Drotar was very involved in sports and civic activities.
FORT STAMFORD – Westover Road 6.88 acres
Fort Stamford is a historical Park dating back to the late 1700’s (Revolutionary) and is on the “National Register of Historic Places”. The D.A.R. started a campaign to save Fort Stamford inspired by a lecture given by Julia Ward Howe. A book on the history of Ft. Stamford is available at the Stamford Historical Society. Historic site – redoubts (fortifications), Period flower garden, Interpretive building,Open space Parking
HARTMAN, ROSA – Brownhouse Road 13.70 acres
Rosa Hartman Park was named for the mother of Mr. Jesse Hartman, who donated the land and some funds for the park. It was dedicated in 1961.
HATCH FIELD – Richmond Hill Avenue 1.05 acres
Hatch Field was named for Alfred H. Hatch, who donated land to the City in 1917 to be used for park purposes.
HEROY, DOROTHY RECREATION COMPLEX* 15.04 acres
Riding Stable Trail off High Ridge Road
Dorothy Heroy Recreation Complex was named in honor of Dorothy Heroy, who was chairman of the first Recreation Commission in the City of Stamford. She was very active in civic affairs and it was through her efforts the Board of Recreation was founded in 1928.
Arts & craft building Rest Rooms
HORAN, VINCENT 3.14 acres
Washington Boulevard & Bridge Street
Horan Park was named after Sergeant Vincent Horan, who was a casualty of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The park was dedicated in his memory in 1973.
HUNT, EDWARD REDREATION COMPLEX* 4.90 acres (Formerly Courtland Park)
Courtland Avenue & E. Main Street
The Edward Hunt Recreation Complex was named in honor of Edward Hunt, who was Superintendent of the Board of Recreation from 1928 to 1972.
KOSCIUSZKO PARK (Dyke) – Shoreline 18.64 acres
Dyke Park was originally built in the 1930’s. It was expanded by a sanitary land fill project in the early 1970’s. It was renamed and dedicated on May 1, 1977 in memory of Brigadier General Tadeusz Kosciuszko, a Revolutionary War Hero of Polish decent, who served under General George Washington.
LEVINE SITE 11.24 acres
Long Ridge Road & Stillwater Road
LIONE, MICHAEL F. 9.20 acres
Stillwater & Merrill Avenue
Originally known as Vidal Park, it was purchased in 1946. This park was renamed in 1954 in honor of Michael Lione, a well-known Stamford athlete.
MIANUS RIVER PARK 108.23 acres
MIANUS RIVER GLEN 77.29 acres
Westover road – off Merribrook Lane
MILL RIVER PARK 4.10 acres
Mill River Street & West Broad St.
The Japanese Cherry Trees in Mill River Park were donated by Junzo Nojima, and planted on Arbor Day, April 27, 1957.
The Gazebo which was built in 1983, was made possible by the generous donation of Mr. Mordechai Gorn and through the efforts of others in the community. It is a lovely addition to Mill River Park, which is the largest green space in the downtown area.
NEWMAN MILLS (Riverbank Park) 7.57 acres
Riverbank and June Road
NORTHRUP PARK (Douglas C. Northrup Field) 2.35 acres
Glenbrook Road & Scofield Avenue
ROBINSON, JACKIE 1.60 acres
West Main, Richmond Hill & Fairfield Avenue
Originally known as Richmond Park, this park was renamed in 1973 for Jackie Robinson, famous major league baseball player and first black player in the major leagues.
ROGER SMITH PARK 2.37 acres
Washington Boulevard, West Broad Street & Whitaker Street
This park was landscaped by the Stamford Council Garden Club. The bi-centennial plaque regarding Rippowam River Mill was donated by the Kiwanis Club & Stamford Historical Society.
SCALZI PARK – Bridge Street 48.12 acres
Formerly known as Woodside Park, Scalzi Park was opened to the public in 1868 as a race track which was owned by T.I. and S.H. Ferris. The City purchased the land for a park in 1927 and it was renamed in 1962 for John Scalzi, famed Stamford athlete. A portion of the park was used for the J.M. Wright Technical School and Cubeta Stadium and was built by the State.
SCOFIELDTOWN RECREATION COMPLEX* 18.10 acres
Scofieldtown Road & Rockrimmon Road
SLEEPY HOLLOW PARK 22.85 acres
Haig Avenue and Lawton Avenue
SOUTHFIELD – Greenwich Avenue 11.71 acres
VINE ROAD FIELD – Vine Road
WEST BEACH (Shoreline) – Shippan Ave. 26.58 acres
The West Beach property was originally owned by the Spelke family, a prominent Stamford family, and for years was known as Spelke Beach.
WOODLEY ROAD BIRD SANCTUARY 19.15 acres
Off Scofieldtown Road
WOODWAY PARK – Woodway Road 11.23 acres
This land was donated by Mr. Jesse Hartman in 1961.
COLUMBUS PARK 0.56 acres
Washington Boulevard & Main Street
Originally known as West Park, prior to becoming a park, this land was the first burial ground for Stamford’s earliest settlers. The graves were moved in 1800 to allow the State to widen the Post Road.
The park was renamed Columbus Park on October 12, 1958 and the monument was designed and cut by sculptor Lorenzo Ascasibar. It was donated by the Stamford Chapel of UNICO.
DASKAM PARK 0.64 acres
Glenbrook Road & Daskam Place
Daskam Park was named for Walter D. Daskam, who was the first Treasurer of the Stamford Trust Company in 1891.
DE PRETA, JAMES J. JR. – Cove Road
James DePreta, a native son of the Cove area, was killed in World War II. The plaque was dedicated by neighbors and friends on November 25, 1973. The flagpole was presented in his memory by fellow employees of Pitney Bowes.
EDSON, GUS – Weed Avenue 0.38 acres
Gus Edson Park was named after Gus Edson, a Stamford resident and a famous cartoonist. He was the creator of the comic strip “Dondi”.
This park was once the site of a boathouse and in the 1940’s was a seaplane base.
The plaque was donated by the Stamford Police Association and dedicated September 13, 1971.
GERLI PARK – Post Road & Weed Avenue 0.47 acres
Gerli Plaza was a gift from Joseph Gerli and was accepted as a park in the 1920’s.
GREENWICH AVENUE PARK – Pulaski St. 0.30 acres
HAIG AVENUE* 0.40 acres
Haig Avenue & Crestview Avenue
EDWARD A. CONNELL HERITAGE PARK 0.42 acres
Bank & Main Streets
The former site of the ‘Old Red Bank’ Heritage Park holds remembrances of Stamford’s past.
On one plaque there is a copy of the original deed for the town, the second plaque related the story of Ponus, Chief of Shippan, deeding the land to Nathaniel Turner on July 1, 1641.There is also a granite marker “21 miles to Fairfeild” (correct spelling for those days). The marker was placed there by the Stamford Historical Society in 1976. It was renamed in 1983 in honor of Edward A. Connell, first Superintendent of the Department of Parks and Trees.
The rose garden was dedicated to Theodore Yudain, one time managing editor of the Stamford Advocate, and donated by the Roasters in 1971.
HOPE STREET ISLAND PARK – Union Place 0.50 acres
The plaque in this park is a memorial to those who served in the Spanish American War and the battleship ‘ U.S.S. Maine’.
The spruce tree, which is used as a permanent Christmas tree, was donated and planted by the Glenbrook Fire Department.
KIWANIS PARK 0.24 acres
Kiwanis Park was the first parcel of land to be developed by the U.R.C. Program. The Kiwanis Club was the moving force behind the development of this park and also donated funds.
The park was dedicated on May 16, 1968 by Mrs. Lyndon B. Johnson, at that time, the First Lady of the United States.
The mural was painted by the Neighborhood Youth Corp in 1978.
Fountain LATHAM PARK – Bedford Street 0.37 acres
Formerly Bedford Park, Latham Park was renamed in 1970 after John C. Latham, who was Stamford’s first Congressional Medal of Honor winner during World War I. Mr. Latham was an expert horticulturist. He had a florist business on Bedford Street and also worked with the Park Department.
Latham Park is one of the oldest parks in the City.
McKEITHEN, ANGRIS (Lawn Avenue Park) 0.90 acres
Angris McKeithen park was named after Mr. McKeithen, a security guard for the Housing Authority, who died from wounds received while performing his duties. Mr. McKeithen was also involved in athletic and youth organizations in the City.
RIPPOWAM PARK 0.15 acres
Washington Boulevard & Main Street
ROTARY PARK 0.55 acres
Tresser Boulevard & Greenwich Avenue
The Rotary Club paid for the design and landscaping of this City property to commemorate its 50th anniversary.
ST. JOHN’S PARK – Main Street 0.78 acres
St. John’s Park appears on a map of Stamford Village dated 1837 as ‘East Green’ and has been used as a park for over 140 years.
The monument is a memorial to soldiers of the French & Indian War, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Mexican War, Civil War, Spanish American War and World War I and was dedicated in 1923.
SAUNDERS, JOHN 0.50 acres
Cascade Road & Old North Stamford Road
SPRINGDALE RAILROAD STATION – Hope St. 0.07 acres
The memorial in Springdale Park was dedicated in 1919 to 80 soldiers & sailors (from then Springdale village).
VETERAN’S MEMORIAL PARK 1.44 acres
Main & Atlantic Streets
Veteran’s Park was originally called Central Park until 1972 when it was changed to Veteran’s Park.
Central Park was the original meeting ground of the first settlers in Stamford. It was deeded in 1859 from Edward B. Hewes, with the stipulation that the ground should be used forever as a public park.
A granite monument was dedicated in November 1977 honoring the servicemen from World War II, the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam era. The monument was designed and erected by Geno Lupinacci, a Stamford resident. The funds for the monument were raised by ‘Old Sarge’ Tony Pia from public contributions.
WATER STREET PARK – (Shoreline) 0.40 acres
Pulaski and Water Streets
Funds were provided by the Community Development Office and groundbreaking ceremonies took place in 1976.
WISER, HOMER 0.73 acres
Bedford & Chester Streets
Through the efforts of the Revonah Neighborhood Association and the City, this area became a park in 1970. A memorial plaque was dedicated in 1976 in honor of Homer Wise, World War II Congressional Medal of Honor winner.
OTHER OPEN SPACE & RECREATIONAL FACILITIES
BARTLETT ARBORETUM – Brookdale Road 56.31 acres
Nature trails, classes, special events
BRENNAN, E. GAYNOR MUNICIPAL GOLF COURSE 82.00 acres
West Broad Street
CHESTNUT HILL ROAD BIRD SANCTUARY 6.30 acres
Undeveloped – Open space, Wild bird refuge
CONNERS, TERRY ICE SKATING RINK
Cove Island (Parks Department)
GLENBROOK COMMUNITY CENTER – Crescent Street
SOUTH END COMMUNITY CENTER – Henry St. 1.80 acres
STAMFORD MUSEUM & NATURE CENTER 86.34 acres
Scofieldtown Road & High Ridge Road
(Compiled by Stamford Historical Society in the 1980’s)