Land Use in CT and a Great Resource for Information

I recently attended a class on Land Use in Fairfield County. Here are a few takeaways that I think are helpful for home buyers, investors and real estate agents.

  • A useful survey is less than 10 years old. If zoning regulations have changed, setbacks and coverage limits can become obsolete.
  • A GIS map is not a survey. A GIS map is a geographic information system paid for by a municipality. It is an aerial mapping. All measurements are approximate and it is not a survey. A survey is drawn to scale, has the property address and tax ID, and is signed and sealed by a licensed surveyor. Surveys also have references to older surveys and land records.
  • A good survey has an easily convertible scale such as 1″ to 20′ or 1’’ to 30’.
  • There are several types of agencies that impact land use in CT: Inland Wetlands & Watercourse Agency (IWWA), Conservation Commission, Planning and Zoning (P&Z), Coastal Area Management (CAM), Planning & Zoning Board of Appeals (PZBA), and the Health Department. There are 169 different sets of land use regulations in the state of CT.
  • Low Impact Developments (LID’s) treat storm water at the source rather than at the “end of the pipe” as an afterthought. LID’s minimize impervious areas that don’t allow for good drainage, disconnect impervious areas, infiltrate run-off, and conserve buffers and forested areas. Pervious driveways, such as Flexi-pave, and rain gardens are good ways for homeowners to help improve water drainage.

If you’d like to know more about land use and flood management in Fairfield County, go to

Leave a Reply